Weaning time stage begins with the first introduction of external food for the child with the continuation of breastfeeding, which advised nutritionists not to start before the sixth month of the child’s life, and ends with the replacement of this food completely replace breastfeeding and be almost at the age of one and a half to two years as the child’s readiness.
The first stage: the sixth month .. The beginning of weaning phase
- It is best not to start in the summer to avoid the risk of gastrointestinal infections, and the winter will increase your child’s hunger and accept your attempts to feed him faster.
- The mother starts by giving the child one type of food to make sure there is no reaction or sensitivity.
The boiled rice mixed with milk or water is a good start because of the ease of swallowing and digestion,
You can also try: boiled and well-cooked vegetables such as: carrots, potatoes, zucchini
Fruits such as: cooked pear, mashed banana.
Canned cereal: mixed with water or milk, and the advantage of these canned foods is that they are supported by iron.
- The mother begins to give the baby water at low doses since the sixth month at the beginning of the introduction of meals, and before that the child gets sufficient fluid from breast milk, water reduces the absorption of nutrients from breast milk, and the increase in fluids may cause some poisoning due to the relaxation of some important salts In the body.
The second stage: the seventh month of the ninth
- When a child gets used to eating it with a spoon, enter more foods:
The meat and chicken are boiled and well mashed.
Lentils, boiled peas and cut off small pieces.
Non-acidic fruit juice (no lemon or orange) diluted by one to ten cold boiled water.
The third phase, the tenth month
- The baby eats the mother’s and father’s meals with good regard for the food, because your baby did not grow the molars that help him chew, and added bread, fish and eggs.
Eat about three meals of cut and mashed food and you will find that the child’s request to breastfeed has gradually decreased as a result of satiety, reduce the breastfeeding to about twice as well as sleep time.
Avoid these foods in the first year:
- Allergic agents : cow’s milk, egg whites (albumin), strawberries, chocolate.
- Tea as it reduces absorption of iron.
- Salt and sugar.
- Honey: An infant botulism disease sometimes causes bacterial vesicles to proliferate in its immature digestive system, which lacks the beneficial bacteria that prevent these harmful bacterial vesicles from multiplying.
Phase IV, beginning of the second year
- The child’s immunity has increased and his digestive system is almost complete, and the molars have appeared. He now eats everything, but he continues to eat it while eating large pieces of food, such as a cracker, which may cause choking.
- Return your child to drink liquids in a cup for children so that we begin to reduce the habit of sucking when using (pepperone).
Gradually you will find that breastfeeding is limited to the baby’s need to relax at bedtime
- The stage where you decide to abstain from breastfeeding completely, which is one of the most difficult moments, in which the child suffers fits of anger, sadness and crying, although he has become physically ready for full weaning, but is related to breastfeeding self-attachment .. It usually becomes like habit sucking the finger in which the emptiness and help him To relax.
- Helping the child to replace the habit and replace it with other solutions that help him relax at bedtime such as: narration of stories and songs, warm bath, back massage, healthy snack before bedtime.
- Some popular recipes may help break the baby’s attachment to the mother’s breast: such as cactus or coffee .
And finally help us to the mother suffering from chest pains after stopping breastfeeding due to chest congestion with milk
- Gradual weaning gradually reduce the number of lactation gradually reduce the amount of milk and therefore the breast is less congested and painful when you stop breastfeeding altogether.
- Some painkillers can be used to relieve pain.
- You can use cereals that dry milk after consulting your doctor.
- Marmara (marmeria / sage tea) helps to dry the chest of milk.